image

Venues

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(BS) THE BUS STATION

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

Kosovatrans was founded as a private company in 1945, and operated three trucks, installed with passenger benches. Initially, these trucks travelled only between Pristina and Prizren, and later extended to Peja and Ferizaj, when in 1958 Ferizaj became a transport hub for immigrants transferring by trains to Turkey. The first bus station in Prizren was located at the Post Office place, while in 1960 it moved to the place where it exists today. The foundations of the current bus station were laid in 1978 and in 1981 it was opened to the public. During the trends of privatization in the late 1990s, the Bus Station was excluded from the list and till now functions as a public facility. During 1999, before the war started in Kosovo, Kosovatrans had 120 buses, 5 small buses and 7 trucks. The company had 450 workers, while in the summer the number of workers grew to 550. The Bus Station also had a wedding hall where different weddings and festivals were organized, and food for workers was shared free of charge.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(AM) ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

Open Hours: 10:00 - 16:00

The Archaeological Museum is part of the Hamam, built by the late 15th century, namely in 1498. The founder of this Hamam is assumed to be Shemsudin Ahmed Bey. Lacking written sources, it is not known until when the Hamam was used as a bath, but it is known that the Hamam was not used as a bath by the mid-19th century, when over the hot area, a Watch Tower was built by Eshref Pasha Rrotulli. On 17 November 1975, the facility was solemnly inaugurated, but with a new designation, meaning that the Hamam was turned into an Archaeological Museum. The Museum features archaeological materials from sites in the Prizren region, namely from the municipalities of Prizren, Dragash, Rahovec and Suhareka. The items feature a wide chronological scope, including early Neolite, Eneolite, the Bronze Era, the Iron Era, the Roman era, early Medieval and late Medieval ages. The object is rectangular, and is constructed in various stones and bricks, while lime plaster is the connecting material. The roof is made of seven cupola and three lintels, all covered in lead sheeting. A specific feature of the facility is that the Hamam has a watch tower, thereby representing two buildings that have no functional link between them, and the combination is unique. In 2008, restoration works were begun, and they have yet to be finished. The Archaeological Museum is of outstanding value. Apart from architectural and artistic value, the museum includes high historical and scientific value items.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(S) SARAJ

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

Mijic family house is dating from the 19th century. The house is located in the historical zone of Prizren, the residential zone of many old Prizren families.The constructive walls of the basement are constructed with a wooden hatch system, stone material connected with clay mortar and straw, thickness 50cm. The constructive walls of the ground floor are partially made of stone material and brick, placed during the last restoration of the building, in 2010-2012, thickness 50cm, while the dividing walls are 20cm thick. The constructive floor walls are original, built in a bondruk system, filled with adobe clay and connected with mortar clay and straw, thickness 50cm, while dividing walls are 20cm, 15cm. The walls from the exterior facade are painted with white lacquers.Ceilings are wooden. This Saraji complex is rich in architectural heritage, dating from Ottoman period.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(LH) LOKVICA’S HOUSE

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

NafisLlokvica’s house is the oldest house in the Marash complex. Written sources do not provide much on this house, but its owner testifies that the house was built by his ancestors, 250 years ago. The house was habitable until 2013, and four generations of the Llokvica family have lived in it. From 2013 - 2016 the owner asked responsible institutions and NGOs to support him in the restoration, but unfortunately, there was no positive answer. From that time, the house was left unattended, thereby allowing for its degradation.

Marash Majal complex

On the left side of Lumbardh River, under the Castle, in the eastern area of Prizren, we have the Urban Complex of Marash. In Arabic, “marash” means a refreshing place. This complex is rich in underground waters and streams of the Lumbardh river. Part of this complex, along with the natural beauty and fresh air, is also an ancient oak (platanus), more than 450 years old. This complex is rich in architectural heritage, dating from various periods. With the transformation in years, natural and cultural heritage resources, and its favorable position, the Marash Complex represents an important site for the whole town.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(BH) BLUE HOUSE

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

The blue house dates from the 19th century. It is located on the way to the castle, and its position is in-between the castle and the centre of the city – in the area known as under castle houses. The inner walls are original, built with adobe material. The walls in the exterior facade are painted blue, and this makes it very unique. The blue color in local culture is seen as authentic and it naturally awakens collective memory on cultural heritage. The house continues to be inhabitable even nowadays.

Under castle houses (Varosh)

After 1848-1850, Mehmet Pasha Rrotulla ( Rrotulla, the ruling family in Prizren ), as Vali (governor) of Prizren, decided to restore the Castle and make it habitable. At that time different masters came from Greece, for construction, most of them settled and resided in this part. In Prizren they were known as Cincar (Vlach). As distinguished masters they were, they also built their church, which still stands attached to the church of Christ the Savior of the 14th century.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(K) KALAJA

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

The Prizren Castle contains in itself an important part of the ancient history of the city. It is located in the eastern part of the city, over a conical-shaped hill. Fortifying walls pursue the relief lines, in an almost egg-shaped foundation, with an extension towards north-south. The oldest source known is the Byzantine Chronicler Procopus of Cesar, in his work “De aedificiis” (“On Construction”). This source mentions the Petrizen Castle, meaning the today’s Prizren Castle, amongst forts renovated in Dardania, for the first time. A more thorough study was made in 1969, in which case, along with archaeological trenches, an architectural survey was made. During the research, traces dating from 16th to 19th centuries were found. Continued archaeological works in 2004 and 2009/2011 found a prehistoric settlement of the Bronze Era, and the early Iron Era, which was the first settlement of this area. Also, for the first time, such digging provided architectural traces and materials dating from the Roman Era and Late Antiquity. The Prizren Fort had its primary function until 1912. From that time, the site was left unattained, thereby allowing for its degradation.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(R) RUINS

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(HA) HAMAM

Open Hours: 12:00 - 18:00

The Gazi Mehmed Pasha Hamam (Turkish Bath) is located near the city centre, near the Kukli-Mehmet Bey Mosque, and the Emin Pasha Mosque. It was built during the period 1563-1574, by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, Sanjak-bey of Shkodra during the period 1573-1574. On the main gate, there is an inscription plate (1833) which shows the restoration date taken by Tahir and Mehmed Pashe Rrotulli. The Turkish Bath is part of the architectonic ensemble established by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, including the Bayrakli Mosque, the Secondary School (Medresse), the primary school (meytep), the library and the mausoleum (turbe). The bath is of the "çifte hamam" type, which means that it was used by both genders at the same time. The Bath is constructed in various stones, combined with brick. The width of the walls is around 90 cm, plastered on the inside. The roofing of the facility is made of two cupola built upon tumblers (on the cold area – reception), and nine smaller cupola over the hot part of the Bath. In the 70-ies, there were several renovation works taken, but the facility was left to the mercy of time since then. Since 2000, the cold part of the Hamam is used as a gallery for organizing various cultural, artistic and education activities.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(HE) HIDROELEKTRANA

Over the Lumbardh Gorge, 2.5 km from Prizren, there is a Hydro-Power Plant “Prizrenasja”. It was built in 1926-1928, with the contributions of citizens and banking loans. The building was designed and constructed by an Austrian company. The Austrian architect had found the best place for exploiting the water, and had tried to adapt the industrial building with the landscape, thereby giving it a form of a castle, inspired by the Upper Fort close by. The building was built in chiseled stone, connected in lime plaster, full brick angles. The Hydro-Power Plant used to supply electricity to Prizren from 1929 to 1973. By 1979, this building was turned into an Electrical Museum of Kosovo, due to its relevance for the industrial history of Kosovo. The Electrical Museum, placed in the historical building of the Hydro-Power Plant, is a unique example for Kosovo, in terms of exhibiting industrial facilities as cultural heritage. The museum was active until the mid-80-es. With its specific position, its harmony with the surrounding landscape, architectural features of the early 20th century, and other original elements preserved, the Hydro-Power Plant represents a monument of high artistic, historical, social and scientific value, not only for Kosovo but the whole region.

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PUBLIC INTERVENTIONS

Verius

image

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________